Main Menu

A Crazy idea ;)

Started by Drong, October 29, 2007, 11:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drong

Hello Infamous I come to you with a proposition,

We at Avalon have been bouncing an idea around on our guild forum after a discussion about the early days of wow before the battlegrounds and sanctioned world pvp, how if actually felt like there really was a war going on and travelling to Southshore actually felt like going to the front lines (more so than STV which was just a gank-a-thon) it was raw, people of all levels, guilds and skills fighting together and although irritating for those trying to quest it was generally a lot of fun.

At the moment pvp is really just limited to arena’s and the battlegrounds, you might get the occasional scrap over Halaa but that’s really the extent of the world pvp these days now don’t get me wrong these are definitely fun and I don’t want to detract from them in anyway but it certainly doesn’t feel like a war.

The scheme…
So how do we put the War back in WARcraft? Well we thought we should try something that’s never been done before, something bigger than ever before, our server has always been among the top but we want it to have a first for once  

Now I’m sure at some time or other most of us have been involved in city raids to a greater or lesser extent, but these lack the scale of what I’m striving for, and tend to get fairly old fairly quick (and it used to be even worse when you had dishonourable kills to content with too.) we are striving for something bigger I want to unite all the alliance for an evening, all of the guilds working together for a common goal, now what we can do in this situation is severely limited by the game mechanics but the only thing I can think that would suitably stir the hornets nest is to hit all 4 horde capital cities at once.

Now this would mean a combined attack of multiple raids across 2 continents and the big questions that first sprang to mind are…
• How would you get the number of people required?
• How would you organise the different raids?
• What about Random’s who want to come but their guilds might not want too?
• How would you synchronise the raids?
• When would it happen?
• How would you keep the horde from finding out about it?
• What would the horde reaction be?
• How long do you intend this to go on for?
• Isn’t this just griefing?
• What about the impact on our raiding timetable?
• Won’t we just crash the server?

How would you get the number of people required?
Like I said a little earlier this would mean united all the Alliance we possibly can, I’m posting on the forums of all of the alliance guilds on the server and looking for people who would be willing to work as liaisons within the guilds, I’m hoping we can get enough buy in to make this something special and not to be missed.

How would you organise the different raids?
I would have each guild running it’s own raids with different guilds allocated to different cities and certain guilds set up as floating raids who are prepared to re-enforce those areas which we encounter the heaviest resistance, I would also have a pre arranged channel called something like ‘thebigraid’ where all the raid leaders can communicate and coordinate the attacks.

What about Random’s who want to come but their guilds might not want too?
I really don’t want this to be limited to those who are in the guilds that want to participate but instead to be open to everyone so I would enlist a couple of deputy’s (any volunteers please ^^) who would spam chat in the cities to let everybody know what’s going on and initially form one raid but be ready to form another if they get enough response

How would you synchronise the raids?

I know its hard enough trying to get one raid to start on time let alone numerous raids going off simultaneously, I’m thinking we set an initial forming time, then a muster time where the raids move into pre-decided zones near there allocated target cities and then an actual attack time when the shindig proper kicks off, the channel I mentioned earlier for the raid leaders would help with this

When would it happen?
Something this big I don’t think you can really just say ‘lets do it next Tuesday’ at least not if we hope to get the other big guilds involved, we would need to give everybody plenty of notice so they can plan there normal raid timetables around it, probably about a month, I have not really got a date in mind yet, I want everyone’s opinions of if you think I’m crazy or maybe it’s just crazy enough to work, but probably on a Thursday evening.

How would you keep the horde from finding out about it?
I think something this big would probably be impossible to keep from the horde and do we really want to? The more resistance they can put up the more fun it will be, but I think we should try and keep it off the realm forums until it has actually kicked off, if too many horde know too much about it they could hit the muster zones and things like that and seriously disrupt the attacks before they get underway, or would it be better to try and let as many horde know as possible, make a real battle of it, I’m always open to ideas.

What would the horde reaction be?
Initially I think the horde reaction would be fairly muted as it is going to take some time for them to form a concerted defence, maybe half an hour maybe even slightly longer, however once they realise the scale of what’s happening then hopefully they will come flocking and we will get a battle beyond the scale of anything we have ever seen before.

How long do you intend this to go on for?
I’m thinking if we say half an hour to get the raids formed and get to there muster points say 20:30 till 21:00 then the raids go off at 21:00 (these times are just ideas, none of this is set in stone), after that then two hours of actual battle should be more than enough time to exert our dominance, kill all the relevant kings/leaders and have the horde get a really good defence going on, after that if individual guilds wanted to continue longer then fair play to them but we would start the general withdrawal.

Isn’t this just griefing?
I really don’t want people to think this is just an exercise in griefing as that’s not what I’m aiming for, instead I want it to be a world event as blizzard organise an unfortunate lack of these, I don’t want low levels camped over and over again but I’m hoping they will log there mains and fight us on more even terms and I’m not talking about camping quest areas but instead going for the real heart, plus if they don’t want to get involved then they don’t have to as it’s in their territory and they have to get pvp flagged first.

What about the impact on our raiding timetable?
Now there is no way around the fact that if we do this then you are going to miss an evening from your normal raiding timetable, however the guilds have been running the outlands endgame for nearly a year now and I’m hoping that most people would embrace the idea that you would be willing to take this minor hit and realise that there is always tomorrow and the day after and the day after ad infinum to go back to your normal raiding.

Won’t we just crash the server?

I see this as the biggest risk to the whole affair, I’m thinking we minimise it a little by doing it on a weeknight as opposed to a weekend and by spreading the attacks over 4 cities rather than all in one it should be better able to handle the strain…still it’s an unavoidable risk so fingers crossed really.

So what do you all think? Is this something that you would like to be a part of or do you think we just have crazy  ? any other questions or points that need addressing? If you want to know more check out the thread on the Avalon forums here…
http://avalon.asbra.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1306

LEVEL65-TRUMBLE

we already killed the raid bosses after clearing the bt. i believe it was a tuesday and it was guild only. we did thrall prime time and that was the only one that came with horde attached
One bright day in the middle of night two dead boys rose to fight.  Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot one another.  A deaf policeman heard the noise, and saved the lives of the two dead boys.  If you don't believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.

log

While I'm very much in favor of an idea on this scale, the difficulty (for me anyway) is that city raids invariably end in an unmitigated rout (unless they're of the get in, get out, variety) and that doesn't really stir things up, it's just once hordes + guards > you, it ends.

Coopsy

sounds great. would be even better if yeh, someone did tell some hordies. dont see much point in 80 people (for example) turning up to ogrimmar, killing various 'bosses' and then just sitting there, reducing in numbers while people log off/hearth etc (and then a situation like Log suggested occurs). Perhaps if it was a race? Alliance vs Horde to kill x number of major city dudes. That way you could also decide whether u wanted to defend various places or go all out...

sounds crazy never-the-less
Erestor - Too young? thats like having too much money

Drong

Thnx for the responses, yeah we have killed the raid bosses in the cities before too but I'm aiming much larger scale this time, to be honest i do know what the result will be but nobody has ever tried anything quite like this before.

I'm hoping we will be able to completely swamp the guards plus there are always quiet patches inside every city where you can sit without aggro-ing more, this is not a hold for an indifferent period, we are aiming for 2 hours in total but if the response in a certain city is too great then we will reroute other guilds to strengthen the attack on that city or if that is impractical then back outside to fight the horde outside guard range, this is going to require a good communication between the guilds, maybe a good idea to use the realm vent (it could do with the use i think....might knock the dust off it  ;)

Also of course we will get everything fraps'ed and should look great on film

Drong

and as to the horde, yeah i've got a couple of spies putting the word over there and i'll post a declaration of war on the realm forums about a week before to give them a chance to organise.

the date we have set is 22nd November, i'll post further details as we hammer them out  ;D

Coopsy

Quote from: Drong on October 30, 2007, 09:48:11 AMand as to the horde, yeah i've got a couple of spies putting the word over there and i'll post a declaration of war on the realm forums about a week before to give them a chance to organise.

the date we have set is 22nd November, i'll post further details as we hammer them out  ;D

it does honestly sound pretty cool, i just hope its not dismissed as 'too RP like' (after all, our server can be quite straight and to the point sometimes) and becomes a waste of your own time :)

either way, gl and hope you have fun!
Erestor - Too young? thats like having too much money

Drong

Hi again

well just to keep you updated of progress everything seems to be going really well for this, the general feedback has been really good but there has been alot of negotiation about the date and after much consideration it has been decided to change it too a Saturday so it affects less peoples raiding timetables, so that’s going to be the Saturday before we were originally planning to do it which is the 17th, I’m really sorry to jerk you around on this but I promise that's the last change of date, we will be forming the raids at 20:00 server time and the attack itself will go at 20:30.

till then good luck & have fun and I’ll be back with more details as they come.

Drong

Ok here are the rest of the details, the whole idea is to hit all the cities at once but i'm thinking for Thunderbluff and Silvermoon make them lightning raids and as soon as the boss's r dead (say 20mins-half hour) everyone pulls out and makes there way to the nearest big city (ie Silvermoon moves to the Undercity & Thunderbluff moves to Ogrimaar) as sending people off to kill npc's in deserted places like Silvermoon kinda defeats the purpose.

Ogrimaar  â€" Muster zone is Ratchett

Avalon
Mary moo cows
Union
Omnia

Undercity â€" Muster zone is Western Plaguelands

Infamous
Illusion
The Gits
Tabula Rasa

Thunderbluff â€" Muster zone is Theramore

Drama
Fallen Knights
The Anvil
Zeus

Silvermoon â€" Muster zone is Eastern Plaguelands

Sinisters
Alter ego
Otur
Anyone else we can gather

As for timings meet at muster points at 20:30 and raids go off at 21:00

also a meet up before hand at 20:00 outside Stormwind to pose for pics n stuff for anyone who's up for it

Drong

Drong

for those that are interested we can have a chat on the channel "thebigraid" i'll be on most nights between now and then (xcept weds) and if UC is empty then we will be jumping on a blimp over too OG or if UC is too well defended then we will shift other raids from empty cities to reinforce the attack

LEVEL65-TRUMBLE

this sounds boring now go away
One bright day in the middle of night two dead boys rose to fight.  Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot one another.  A deaf policeman heard the noise, and saved the lives of the two dead boys.  If you don't believe this lie is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Drong

nice response trumble, your entitled to your opinion but until i hear otherwise i'll make the assumption that you don't speak for the whole guild.

anyway for any who may be interested...

We've gone blue! :D

Blizzard have allayed most of my fears about a server crash and have declared us an official world event, check out the page here... http://www.wow-europe.com/en/community/events.html

Well the servers have improved a lot since the old days and the only real risk point I see is gathering in SW for photos before the raid, if this starts to cause serious lag then we will can the idea until the end of the raid and go straight to the muster zones.

I want lots of pics and vids please, especially of each of the 4 bosses going down and just to clarify again, the TB and SM raids are just lighting quick, get in, get the boss, spam ‘thebigraid’ channel to let us know then onto UC & OG which are the main targets, if UC is not putting up much resistance then we will re-route additional raids from there to OG.

WE’RE GOING TO WAR!

Only 1 more evening to go!!!one!!1!

Fin